SPRENKLE’S ONE ROOM SCHOOL
1936/1937 (Last class before the school was closed)
FRONT ROW: Left to Right: Elwood Bahn, Spurgeon Doll, Eugene Bahn, Clair Doll, John Hengst, Eugene Detter, Leroy Shearer, Sherman Wire. SECOND ROW: Bob King, Harold King, Dolores Bahn Weiser, Virginia Shearer Myers, Henry Folkomer, Geraldine Shearer Bahn, Evelyn Bahn Day, Lorne Detter, Nevin Detter, George Myers, Levere Hoffman. BACK ROW: Kenneth Rinehart, Russell Naylor, Marion Bupp, Dorothy Doll, Colleen Bahn Snellbaker, Chester Snyder (Teacher), Estella Krout, Dorothy Bahn Leese, Mildred Rinehart Dennis, Ralph Myers.
This one room school has since been expanded as a residence. Built in 1856 on twenty perches of land purchased from Peter and Catherine Sprenkle, it housed grades one through eight. Former students recalled the days when a sleeping teacher enabled them to include Wolf’s Church Park in their “extended recess.”
Years after the school was closed in 1937, paddles were found in the basement. It is thought that students may have taken these paddles from the classroom and slid them through the open holes in the foundation???
February 3, 2007. A chimney has replaced the front door and an addition was made to the right.