SMYSERS ONE ROOM SCHOOL (C1861-1926) SMYSERS THREE ROOM SCHOOL (1926-1965)
1916/1917 (one room school)
FRONT ROW: 3rd from left, Austin Yeager
Specifics about the one room building, housing grades one through eight, are limited since the building no longer exists. It was erected on land apparently owned by George Smyser and sold to the school district about 1861. It was sited on the southeast corner of the property on which the Smyser’s three room school, later the West York Area Administration Building, now stands at 2605 West Market Street. When the three room school was built in 1926, the one room school was razed.
The land on which the three room school was built was purchased from William Smyser in 1887 for $40. The school remained in operation even after the Lincolnway Elementary School was built on the adjacent property to the north. In 1965, when the Smyser School was no longer needed, the West York School District converted it into its administrative offices. While it still serves as an administrative building, for those who once attended it, it will forever be the Smyser School.
Three Room School (1950)