Markel (Park) School
1441 Old Salem Rd
Completed by September 4, 1905. This red brick school was first called Markel’s, then Highland Park and also known as Park Grammar School. When the school district decided it was no longer needed, it was sold.
When the School Board met in June, 1905, at Highland Amusement Park, they discussed searching for land to build a new school. They agreed to buy a lot on the New Salem Road for $320 from Henry Tyson. Bids for the building project were soon advertised. The Board accepted a bid of $1780 from the Peter M. Quickel Corporation to build the school .