Hokes One Room School
Records are few for former Hoke’s School, a one room building that housed grades one through eight. Research indicates that it was built in the mid-1800’s on property originally owned by the Hoke family and sold to the School District. It still stands on North Woodberry Road and is currently a residential property sited in a wooded area near one of the large Hoke family homes which was built in 1856. Former students recalled that the old stove in the center of the school was a good place to dry their coats and gloves during the winter. Many especially remembered the required one thousand word spelling test that determined one’s opportunity to go on to high school.