Consolidated School No1     Emig Mill Rd

Image13

The red brick consolidated school opened in 1937. It was sited on 3.75 acres along the east side of Emig Mill Road and was an example of the art Deco design that was a popular 1920’s building style. When Pennsylvania statutes legislated the closing of all one room schools, the Consolidated opening marked the end of the one room schools in the township. The building had five classrooms plus a cafeteria and kitchen for a lunch program. In 1960, $10,378 was spent for alterations and additions. It served the district for about twenty more years and was then sold in 1983. Former students who attended the one room schools thought this new school was “somewhat overwhelming.”